Halloween celebrations include something for everyone

Students on campus said they are excited for Halloween this year for a chance to let loose and recover from midterm exams.

The annual Michigan game is scheduled to take place on Halloween at 2:30 p.m. Many students said they plan on tailgating, attending the game and going out afterward in costume.

Other students said they are heading up to Madison for the usual University of Wisconsin Halloween tradition or down to SIU in Carbondale.

For those students who aren’t interested in going out, there is always the Brass and Quintet Halloween Concert at 7:30 p.m. This holiday tradition at Krannert Center, 500 S. Goodwin Ave., in Urbana, will continue with spooky tunes, according to the Krannert Web site.

Halloween will bring several popular bands to Champaign-Urbana for a special concert at The Canopy Club, 708 S. Goodwin, in Urbabna, such as Cornmeal and The Bridge and Zmick. The venue will be decorated to celebrate the holiday and a costume contest will be held, said Mike Armintrout, talent buyer and marketing director for Jay Goldberg Events and Entertainment.

Doug Larson, the president of Joe’s Brewery, 706 S. Fifth St., in Champaign, said students should head to Joe’s on Halloween, “because it’s their favorite bar.” Joe’s will also be hosting a costume contest, he said.

For those students looking for festive drinks, Geovanti’s, 401 E. Green St., in Champaign, will be serving orange jello shots, said owner Anthony Donato. Donato will also be hosting a grand opening of Fireside Bar and Grill, 25 E. Springfield Avenue, in Champaign, on Halloween night. This location was formerly Rock’s, but was purchased by Donato and Eddie Geovanti in April. There will be a parking lot party on Halloween featuring bands such as Candy Foster, Donato said.

“Everyone always looks for something to do in Champaign for Halloween, and this will hopefully be the thing to do,” Donato said.

Another campus tradition that will continue this year is the Allen hall zombie mob. This tradition has been going on for more than five years and consists of Allen Hall residents dressing up in costume and make-up, parading around campus and performing Michael Jackson’s Thriller dance.

“They go around weirding people out and having a good time,” said Jillian Martin, junior in LAS and desk clerk at Allen Hall.

The zombie mob usually occurs on the last Saturday of October, which happens to fall on Halloween this year. Allen will be hosting several workshops throughout the last week of October to teach participants the traditional dance. Staples on the zombie mob route include Krannert Center, the union and late nights at many residence halls.

Becky Hamman, junior in LAS and program advisor for Allen Hall will be participating in the zombie mob for her third year in a row.

“It’s one of the best things I’ve done on campus,” Hamman said. “It’s one of those once in a lifetime college experiences.”

She added that this year they are including ISR and LAR residents for the first time, but all students are welcome to participate.

With all the holiday festivities happening on campus, there is something for everyone this Halloween in the C-U.