Illini head into last 6 games strongly

Coming off a 3-9 record in 2009, there were plenty of reasons not to be optimistic for the 2010 Illinois football team.

Redshirt freshman Nathan Scheelhaase stepped in at quarterback without a snap of college football under his belt. Six coaches on the staff were replaced in the offseason, and both a new offense and defense had to be installed. The defensive secondary started the season with two of its starters — sophomore cornerback Terry Hawthorne and junior safety Supo Sanni — on the sidelines.

But at the season’s halfway point, the team has growing expectations.

“We still have a lot of room to get better and we’re not focusing on anything behind us, but we have risen expectations,” defensive coordinator Vic Koenning said. “I think our guys now understand what we were telling them at the beginning of the year, of what they’re capable of.”

The team stands at 3-3 with six games remaining on the schedule. The three losses have come to teams now in the Top 25 rankings, and Illinois held a lead at one point in all of those games. The remaining schedule appears favorable, including matchups at home against Indiana, Purdue and Minnesota.

“The strongest part of our schedule is over, but we’re definitely not putting anyone past us,” junior linebacker Ian Thomas said.

Leading the way has been a defense that is nearly unrecognizable from last year’s squad. The Illini rank third in the conference in total defense, giving up an average of 303 yards per game. Last season, opponents averaged 403.2 yards against the Illini defense, worst in the Big Ten.

“In the beginning of the year, we talked about being better in week 12 than we were in week one, and I think we’re headed in that direction,” Koenning said.

The offense has undergone a different look under new offensive coordinator Paul Petrino, switching from a spread offense to a pro-style.

The Illini rank second-to-last in the Big Ten in both scoring offense (21.3 points per game) and total offense (336.7 yards per game).

“We’ve done a good job of controlling the ball and running the ball, but we just haven’t gotten enough points,” Petrino said. “Part of that is not being able to make big plays; part of that is not being able to hit that big pass. There are a lot of opportunities out there; we just have to take advantage of them.”

The remaining six games left on the schedule will give the Illini an opportunity to qualify for a bowl game for only the second time in nine years.

“We’ve played six games and we’ve got six games to go,” head coach Ron Zook said. “The way we are kind of approaching this thing, it’s a six-game season.”

Assessing the defense

C6_CenterpieceLiuget_NM.jpg

MVP — Corey Liuget

Liuget gets the nod over a handful of worthy candidates. The junior defensive tackle has 29 tackles on the season, including a team-best six tackles for loss and two sacks.

“He is a wrecking crew,” defensive coordinator Vic Koenning said.

Liuget returned for his junior season after considering transferring in the offseason.

“His leadership off the field has been just as impressive as his play on the field,” Koenning said. “He seems to be really, really turning the corner. I wish all our players can be making the progress that he’s making.”

Newcomer — Trulon Henry

A makeshift secondary has more than held its own so far this season, and much of that has to do with the play of Henry. The junior college transfer has stepped in nicely at safety, already posting 34 tackles and two interceptions this season.

Statistic

18.5 — Points per game the Illini defense is giving up per game this season. Last season, the Illini surrendered a conference-worst 30.2 points per contest.

Quote

“You never know when humble pie is put right in front of you. You’ve got to swallow it, and it doesn’t taste good sometimes. We can’t look any direction besides right in front of us.”

— Defensive coordinator Vic Koenning on the defense maintaining its level of play

Offense

C6_CenterpieceLeshoure_NM.jpg

MVP — Mikel Leshoure

Halfway through the season, Leshoure has already reached the 100-yard rushing mark four times. The junior running back is second among conference running backs with 113.3 yards per game. The numbers will most likely continue to rise — the five remaining Big Ten teams left on Illinois’ schedule (Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern) rank in the bottom half of the conference in rush defense.

“Since training camp, he’s been everything we wanted him to be. He’s a leader that’s really stepped up both on and off the field. The coaching staff has seen him grow as an individual.”

Statistic

92.3 percent — Field goal percentage of sophomore kicker Derek Dimke, which is tops in the Big Ten. His average of two made field goals per game ties him for fourth in the nation.

Newcomer — Nathan Scheelhaase

The redshirt freshman averages a team-best 178.2 yards of offense per game, as well as impressing coaches and teammates with his leadership and playmaking ability.

Quote

“Things are going great. I’m just used to putting up more points on the board.”

— Offensive coordinator Paul Petrino on his first few weeks running the Illinois offense.