Sweep puts Illini baseball atop the Big Ten

Penn State baseball fans were expecting the fireworks and free t-shirts that accompanied their team’s promotional Blue and White festivities this weekend. But few would have thought the weekend’s main event, a three-game conference series with Illinois, would play out like a personal promo for Illini designated hitter Willie Argo. The freshman hit three home runs in three games at PSU’s Lubrano Park, leading the Illini to a weekend sweep.

“I just did a better job of waiting (for pitches) this weekend,” Argo said. “I was able to lay off the bad ones and then hit the good ones. I felt more confident at the plate.”

The Illini (26-12, 11-4 Big Ten) are now tied with No. 23 Ohio State for first place in the Big Ten. Illinois batted .355, posted a 3.00 ERA and made only two errors in the series.

“We were solid in all areas this weekend,” said Illinois head coach Dan Hartleb. “We got good starting pitching … the bullpen didn’t give up any earned runs … our defense was solid, and we swung the bats really well.”

Friday night’s 7-3 victory was highlighted by home runs from Argo and junior catcher Aaron Johnson, and Illini sophomore pitcher Phil Haig was credited with his fifth win of the year after pitching seven innings.

“Phil did a great job of battling even though he gave up hits early, and he kept the game within reach,” Hartleb said.

PSU (21-19, 5-10) jumped ahead 2-0 in the second inning with a homer from sophomore Ryan Heath, but Johnson and Argo, along with freshman Josh Parr, keyed a four-run rally in the fifth for Illinois. Johnson later homered in the sixth, and Argo hit a home run of his own in the seventh to give the Illini a 6-3 lead. Argo, who finished the weekend 8-for-12 with eight RBIs, also scored the game’s final run on a sacrifice fly from sophomore Casey McMurray.

Hartleb said he was just as pleased with his team’s offensive production as he was with Haig’s performance on the mound.

“After the first time through the order, we started to get good pitches and began centering balls,” Hartleb said. “Argo had an outstanding game at the plate.”

Argo put on another explosive performance Saturday afternoon, hitting 3-for-4 with five RBIs and two home runs in an 11-5 Illini win. Also impressive in game two was McMurray, who batted 4-for-5 with an RBI.

“I just got into a rhythm on Saturday,” McMurray said. “I got good pitches to hit and was seeing the ball really well.”

Illinois led the contest from the start, with singles by McMurray and junior shortstop Brandon Wikoff giving Illinois a 2-0 lead. The Illini lead eventually swelled to 7-2 after six innings, but PSU rallied for three runs in the seventh behind senior second baseman Landon Nakata’s triple. Nakata finished the game 2-for-5 with two RBIs, but the Illini effectively closed the door on a Nittany Lion comeback with a four-run ninth inning highlighted by one of Argo’s homers.

In Sunday’s series finale, Illinois would again jump out to an early lead thanks to a pair of triples from sophomores Matt Dittman and Pete Cappetta that put the Orange and Blue up 2-0 after the second. Illinois increased the lead to 5-1 by the end of the sixth, and Wikoff recorded a triple of his own to start a three-run rally in seventh. A single from senior center fielder Joe Bonadonna brought home Argo to account for Illinois’ final run, and the Illini completed the sweep with a 9-2 victory. Freshman pitcher Bryan Roberts received the win after allowing just five hits in seven innings of work.

“(Bryan) did a great job today,” Hartleb said. “He’s a competitor … he always comes ready to compete, and that’s why he’s out there.”