Legion leaves basketball team, will transfer to Florida International

Junior guard Alex Legion will transfer to Florida International, where he will play for head coach and NBA legend Isiah Thomas, Fox Sports reported Friday. Legion left the Illini on Tuesday.

Legion played minimal minutes in nonconference play this season, averaging just 2.7 points per contest.

The Detroit native had trouble adjusting to Illinois last season after transferring from Kentucky.

“Alex is a good kid who faced a difficult situation in returning to the court last year at semester break,” head coach Bruce Weber said in a press release. “He worked hard during his time here and gave great effort. We wish him the best and we’ll do whatever we can to help him in his transition.”

At the beginning of this season, Weber said Legion was a possible starter, but that thought was quickly erased with the emergence of freshmen D.J. Richardson and Brandon Paul.

“I appreciate the support from the U of I fans, my teammates and coaches,” Legion said. “I look forward to the next step in my collegiate career.”

Early Saturday morning, Legion tweeted “IM FREE!!!!!!!” from his Twitter account.