Illini wrap up roller coaster season

McCamey takes lead

With the departure of last season’s senior guards and vocal leaders Trent Meacham and Chester Frazier, the challenge of leading this season’s Illini fell to Demetri McCamey.

Statistically, the junior guard did just that, averaging 15.1 points and an Illinois single-season record 7.1 assists. For his efforts, McCamey was named First-Team All-Big Ten.

But the statistics and honors weren’t enough for McCamey, who wanted to take his team to the NCAA Tournament.

“If I don’t play well, we don’t have a chance, so it’s just a lot of pressure. But at the same time, I’m looking to take over that challenge and help my team get to the NCAA,” McCamey said before the Big Ten Tournament.

Despite upsetting then-No. 13 Wisconsin and taking then-No. 5 Ohio State to double overtime in Indianapolis, the Illini failed to make the NCAA Tournament. The news that they would be playing in the NIT instead wasn’t easy to take.

“It’s just real disappointing, but you can’t complain, you just got to get better,” McCamey said after the announcement. “And hopefully next year we’ll be even better and just use the NIT to prepare for next season.”

Next season is exactly what head coach Bruce Weber hopes to have with his junior guard, who may entertain thoughts of entering the NBA draft if he would go in the first round.

“I hope he goes to the next level, but probably a year from now,” Weber said after McCamey’s 13-point, 10-assist performance in the season-ending loss to Dayton. “He’s a great player, he’s one of better players in the league and probably in the country, but he has a chance to be special.”

Eager to succeed

Although the men’s basketball team’s season went as Demetri McCamey went, it was perhaps the up-and-down play of Mike Davis that best personified the Illini roller coaster ride during the last year. The junior forward was an NBA prospect in some minds last fall, and he began the non-conference season looking like a leader on the court while averaging a double-double.

But Davis quickly lost his form come winter, and Weber replaced him in the starting lineup with freshman Tyler Griffey for four games in January and February. Davis found himself back in the lineup, though, when the team traveled to Madison, Wis., on Feb. 9. He slipped back into form down the stretch and finished the season averaging 14 points and 12.2 rebounds in his last four contests.

B1_Davis_MRS.jpg

Davis openly expressed the team’s disappointment in having to play in the NIT, but then he rescinded his comments after defeating Kent State in the second round.

Weber elaborated: “Are we all disappointed? Heck yeah. I still get texts from people, I get texts from media people. Every time you watch something it comes up and it haunts you.”

Throughout the season, Davis began to constantly refer to how scary the Illini can be next season, as all of their starters will most likely return. And a failed attempt at a game-winning shot that may not have even counted against Ohio State in the Big Ten Tournament semifinals should be enough to keep Davis eager for next fall.

“I’m kind of sad,” Davis said following the Ohio State loss. “I want that last play back. I should have dunked it … I tried to get it up as fast as I could, but I didn’t really take my time.”

Rising freshmen grateful for learning experience

While the Illinois basketball’s junior class ended its season on a low note, D.J. Richardson, Brandon Paul and Tyler Griffey couldn’t have asked to see the court much more than they did. The three Illini freshmen grew as much as anybody this season, and each started at least four games.

Richardson started every game but one and was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year by coaches. He finished the season averaging 10.5 points per contest and shooting 39 percent from behind the arc.

B1_Freshman_Griffey_MRS.jpg

But it was Paul who quickly became a fan favorite in Champaign with his ability to get to the basket and wow the crowd. He set the program record for the most points for a freshman in his debut with 22 against Southern Illinois-Edwardsville on Nov. 15. Despite having trouble adapting to playing against Big Ten opponents, Paul eventually left his high school game behind and learned to be a team player.

“Coaches have stressed that you can win games by doing other things than scoring,” Paul said. “I definitely like to do other things like get rebounds, steals, charges … It’s the little things I want to be doing.”

Griffey was the third freshman to crack the lineup when Mike Davis was benched in January for his inconsistency, and he proved his toughness on both ends of the court.

Although Griffey averaged just 3.3 points per game, he was always one of the first to show up to practice, he was always in the weight room, and he was easily able to adapt to Weber’s system.

“For me, (this season) was a learning experience,” Griffey said after the loss to Dayton in the NIT quarterfinals. “I’m blessed to be a part of the Illinois family. This season as a whole was a positive experience for me, a learning experience, getting better, being humbled, stuff like that. It’s going to make us all, like Demetri (McCamey) said, hungry for next year and just make us work hard in the weight room in the offseason.”