Frazier returns to Illinois, joins men’s basketball staff

It was announced on Tuesday by men’s basketball coach Bruce Weber that former Illini point guard Chester Frazier has joined the Illinois staff.

According to a press release, he will be a graduate assistant and video coordinator.

During this time he is enrolled in a master’s program in educational policy studies at Illinois.

In May 2009, Frazier graduated with a bachelors degree in recreation management. In August of 2009 he turned down an opportunity to coach at Illinois and spent a season playing basketball in Germany. Weber said in a press release that Frazier had the opportunity to continue playing in Europe but he wanted to pursue his dream of becoming a coach.

“We are excited to have Chester back on campus and part of our staff,” Weber said in a press release. “Chester has a great basketball mind and tremendous passion for our program and university. He also is well respected by our current players and with his strong leadership skills, he will no doubt serve as a motivating and positive influence on them.”

Frazier played from 2006- 2009. He was a two-season team captain and played in 125 games during his career, starting in 88, totaling 3,566 minutes, the ninth-highest in school history. During his senior year, Frazier was an honorable mention All-Big Ten selection and team MVP. He is number seven on the all-time list for assists with 484.