Illinois basketball defeats Southern Illinois to open season 3-0

When Illinois basketball head coach Bruce Weber left Southern Illinois to take the Illini head coaching job, he promised that his Illini would play Southern. Thanks to his assistant coaches, Weber kept his word on Saturday night, and No. 13 Illinois posted an 85-63 victory over Southern Illinois.

“We knew how good they were,” Salukis head coach Chris Lowery said. “I’ve been saying all week, in transition, they’re like the Lakers. They’re as good as anybody at getting up and down the floor.”

Senior Demetri McCamey led the way for the Fighting Illini offense, tallying 18 points and nine assists.

“If Demetri plays (well), we’ve got a chance to be pretty good. He’s pushing the basketball, nine assists, one turnover. He made shots,” Weber said. “And I think the best thing, we’ve been able to rest him when he gets tired. Last year, we didn’t feel comfortable.”

But the point guard wasn’t alone in his offensive effort on the night. Sophomore guard D.J. Richardson (16) and senior forward Mike Davis (14) also reached double-digit scoring.

“Guys aren’t playing for themselves, they’re playing for the team,” Davis said. “No one’s playing for themselves.”

Senior guard Justin Bocot tallied 14 points to lead the scoring effort for the Salukis. Senior forward Carlton Fay added 13, and junior forward Seck Mamadou tallied 12 in the losing effort.

Illinois used an 8-0 run near the end of the half to take an 11 point lead into the break and never looked back.

The 22-point victory fits with the “take no prisoners” attitude Weber has been preaching since summer.

“One of the things we weren’t very good about last year was extending leads, playing with leads,” Weber said. “I thought, the end of the first half into the second half, we’re really starting to make some progress with that and have some pride, learning how to really put a team away.”