Dear NCAA: You forgot about the victims in Penn State decision - The Daily Illini : Columns

The Daily Illini is online everywhere you are.

Dear NCAA: You forgot about the victims in Penn State decision

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:00 am

Dear NCAA,

Did you forget something Tuesday?

When you originally decided your unprecedented punishment for Penn State’s football program, you seemed to grasp the atrocities that happened in State College. You seemed to understand that a university president and a football coach prioritized a game over the health and safety of young boys.

You told Penn State it wasn’t acceptable. By throwing down sanctions that would completely demolish the football program, you told everyone else it wasn’t acceptable.

But you seemed to forget that Tuesday when you said you were too harsh and decided to start giving back scholarships early.

You decided it was more important to let the Nittany Lions be good at football than to show administrators that football shouldn’t be prioritized over the health and safety of young fans.

This wasn’t like Penn State was paying athletes or giving them illegal benefits. It wasn’t like Penn State had willing girls lined up to make sure recruits had a good time on campus. It wasn’t like the administrators were covering up a few football players smoking pot. It wasn’t like they let a basketball player have someone else take his SAT, so he could stay on campus for a year before heading off to the NBA.

Penn State was willingly ignoring the sexual assault of young, underprivileged, at-risk boys to win football games. The school decided not to report a pedophile to keep playing a game without any penalties.

The saddest part of it is that people are flocking to support you for going back on your word — a word you handed down with a higher purpose in mind than merely causing a football program to struggle. The Big Ten announced its support for your decision to lessen the penalties just hours after the announcement. University presidents, chancellors, athletic directors and other officials have come out in support of your decision.

You succumbed to their peer pressure.

NCAA, I realize you’re scared because it seems like your stranglehold on college athletics is headed toward an end.

You have been called out for taking advantage of athletes. You have been charged with exploiting a monopoly on college sports. You have taken a lot of flak for your handling of various disciplinary situations — people saying you’re too harsh, people saying you’re not harsh enough.

NCAA president Mark Emmert said Monday that “a lot of change” is coming to the NCAA.

If this is the change, count me out.

I understand where you’re coming from. But I don’t understand how you can forget the little boys who just wanted to look up to the football program, until they were destroyed by it. How can you forget the reason you sent such an emphatic message?

These punishments for the football team may not have been popular. But they were justified.

And your actions Tuesday undid all of that.

Sincerely,

Johnathan Hettinger

Johnathan is a junior in Media. He can be reached at hetting2@dailyillini.com. Follow him on Twitter @jhett93.

Rules of Conduct

• 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

2 comments:

• tullfan68 posted at 1:41 pm on Wed, Sep 25, 2013.

tullfan68 Posts: 1

Hey John why dont you send this to the catholic church thats has been doing this for hundreds of yrs,When they get caught they just move them to another parish to contiue there dirty deeds.As for Penn State you as most other should wait for the courts to decide what is what without giving you they are guilty no matter what attitude.As for the kids they will always suffer but it is over and done with,we can not do more for them.They are all getting millions of dollars in damages.They will continue and hopefully have fuller lives going forward

• schaeff171 posted at 11:20 am on Wed, Sep 25, 2013.

schaeff171 Posts: 1

I must disagree with your opinions, Mr. Hettinger. The folks that may have hidden information are still awaiting their day in court. I personally find it hard to believe there was a coverup. Sexual predators are good at disquising their true actions, and experts have said that Sandusky was one of the best they have ever seen. I hope that you will do some research and stop listening to a liberal media that is only concerned with publishing what sells. Perform some investigative reporting to find the truth about what really happened in State College. Why didn't Sandusky's family know? What about The Second Mile? Why didn't his friends know? It's easy to accuse, but everyone has the right to Due Process.

Fantasy Doctor

• Fantasy Doctor: The first round could be the finale

• Fantasy Doctor: Playing the blame game

• Fantasy Doctor: Held accountable to stay credible

Sportscast