‘Terry Hawthorne can win the Heisman’

It takes a unique athlete to play on offense, defense and to return kicks. But that’s what made Charles Woodson so special.

It takes a unique athlete to play on offense, defense and to return kicks.

But that’s what made Charles Woodson so special.

Woodson won the 1997 Heisman Trophy, receiving 282 more votes than runner-up Peyton Manning, playing both cornerback and receiver while returning kicks for Michigan.

The Illini have their own cornerback who thinks he has a future as a receiver.

But head coach Ron Zook has dodged questions about Terry Hawthorne playing receiver, and Hawthorne himself has toned down his stated will to return to the offense in 2010.

Receiver Arrelious Benn wouldn’t do the same.

“In my opinion, and this may sound crazy, but I think Terry Hawthorne can win the Heisman,” he said.

“It’s a little Charles Woodson deal, offense and defense. I think they’re going to work him on both sides of the ball. He is the type of guy that can do that.”

While Hawthorne’s play at cornerback has solidified his placement on defense for the remainder of the season, he stated in previous weeks his desire to move back to offense.

But after an interception return for a touchdown Saturday against Minnesota, Hawthorne has decided to take his mind off of catching passes from his own quarterback.

“Right now, I’m trying not to worry about it, I’m waiting until next season to worry about it,” he said. “I’m trying to finish this season off and see what happens after that.”

When asked about Benn’s Heisman predictions, the reserved freshman cracked a smile.

“I just think it’s funny,” he said.

Running back carousel

The only thing predictable about the running back rotation Saturday against Northwestern is that it will be unpredictable.

Mikel LeShoure had a strong two weeks leading up to last Saturday’s game against Minnesota, running for 192 yards against Purdue and Michigan. But Zook said that running backs coach Reggie Mitchell decided that Jason Ford had the better week of practice.

“One of the great things about having some depth at running back is that it allows you to play the guys who had the best week of practice,” Zook said.

Ford ran for 82 yards on 20 rushes against Minnesota, while LeShoure only had 10 carries for 25 yards. Freshman Justin Green even had a touchdown run during Saturday’s game, his only carry of the day.

But LeShoure feels that he and fellow sophomore Ford have the ability to be a special tandem in their time at Illinois.

“I definitely feel like we could be a tag-team backfield, maybe the best in the country if we do what we need to do, stay focused and just keep working hard a stay hungry,” he said.

Juice questionable for Northwestern game

Zook said Tuesday that he is “cautiously optimistic” that quarterback Juice Williams will play on Saturday and classified the senior as questionable.

He said that everyone who had non-season-ending injuries practiced, including Jarred Fayson, A.J. Jenkins and Michael Hoomanawanui.

Zook said Hoomanawanui, who accepted a bid to play in the East-West Shrine Game, isn’t worried about his future.

“Michael’s already put a lot of money in the bank and he’s earning interest as well,” Zook said of the tight end, who is predicted by experts to be drafted in the first three rounds of the NFL draft.

“But Michael wants to play. He wants to be out there doing everything he can do to help the Illini and you want it for him because of all of the things he’s put in.”