Benn shows off speed at Illinois pro timing day

Some said they saw dollar signs flying through the air Wednesday at about 3 p.m., as NFL scouts from just about every team watched Illinois football’s pro timing day at Irwin Indoor Practice Facility.

That’s the approximate time that former Illinois receiver Arrelious Benn flew through the finish line of the 40-yard dash in 4.36 seconds, about a tenth of a second faster than his time at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis.

“The combine is dealt with a lot of pressure on guys,” Benn said. “I knew what I could do. The combine’s just something different … it’s a different environment.”

Benn also faced some negative reviews about his pass-catching at the combine — but he didn’t hear them.

“I don’t pay attention to what’s going on about name, what’s going on with my stock going up or down. That’s entertainment. It’s what the teams want or the teams need.”

The projected first-round pick said he would be working out with the Denver Broncos, among other teams, in the ensuing weeks.

Also present at pro day but not able to participate was offensive guard Jon Asamoah, who is projected to be picked in the second or third round.

Asamoah suffered a shoulder injury in the Senior Bowl.

The injury, though, didn’t require surgery, and teams shouldn’t have to worry about lingering injury.

Asamoah has been working out in Phoenix over the past few months at Athletes’ Performance along with other high draft prospects like Gerald McCoy, Golden Tate and Derrick Morgan.

“Going out there has definitely changed my mentality,” he said. “I’m a lot more focused getting out of my comfort zone and around other top guys.”

Asamoah will have his own workout on April 8 in Champaign after only being able to meet with teams at the combine and pro day. He said he’s heard his name attached to teams from coast to coast.

Michael Hoomanawanui, the only other Illini invited to the combine, and Jeff Cumberland both worked out as tight ends and both could be drafted in the late rounds.

Cumberland impressed with a 4.46 40-yard dash but had multiple drops during drills.

Juice Williams was able to work out in front of pro scouts for the first time after he wasn’t invited to any showcase games or the combine.

“I had so many expectations coming out of the season, I had a great feeling that I would (get invited), but when I didn’t get the call I was a little upset,” he said. “Everything happens for a reason; there are other ways to make up for the lost opportunity.”

Williams said a Bengals scout, who ran a drill he participated in, was impressed. “After today, there should be no doubt that I can play the quarterback position,” Williams said.

Williams worked out as a quarterback but said, if need be, he’d play other positions.

Other participants included wide receiver Chris Duvalt, running back Daniel Dufrene, defensive back Dere Hicks, defensive end Antonio James and defensive tackles Rahkeem Smith and Sirod Williams. All are unlikely to be picked, according to most mock drafts. The ever-positive Duvalt, who worked out as both a defensive back and wide receiver, was optimistic.

“Getting drafted would be great, but if I catch on to somebody’s camp I’ve got a pretty good feeling I’ll make the team because of my work ethic,” he said.

Former Illini and current Dolphins defensive back Vontae Davis was also in attendance. After being a first-round pick in last year’s draft, Davis will be expected to impart advice on his former teammates and draft hopefuls.

“Hopefully I’ll be on a team with him,” Benn said. “You never know.”