Illini battle heat at Camp Rantoul

The Illinois football team held its first Camp Rantoul practice Monday afternoon, having a full-pad practice for the first time this season.

Rantoul, located about twenty minutes north on I-57, has been the team’s training camp destination since 1998.

The hot, muggy weather was a concern throughout the day, as the players were given an extended water break in the middle of practice.

“We took a break, which we normally don’t do,” Zook said. “We’re constantly watching for what the temperature is, and the student trainers are doing a great job keeping the water in them.”

Zook, who played as a defensive back at Miami University from 1973-1975, said he keeps in mind what it was like for him when he was playing in the summer heat.

“I can remember days just trying to survive and get through it,” Zook said. “Really, what are you accomplishing? Are you trying to get better as a football team, or are you just trying to survive?”

With temperatures expected to be high again on Tuesday and with the possibility of late thunderstorms, the team moved its Tuesday practice from 3:30 p.m. to 10 a.m.

“If you start drawing on your reserve now, and you’re not able to get your weight back and all those things back to where they started, then you start drawing on your reserves,” Zook said. “Camp is going to be hard enough.”

Scuffle pushes competitiveness to limits

The most spirited moment of the day came during a drill between the offensive and defensive lines, when a shoving match between two players escalated to a scuffle between the entire offensive and defensive lines.

“At times it’s good, but we can’t do that,” junior offensive tackle Jeff Allen said of the competitive nature of practice. “It takes away time from reps, time away from practice. We’ve got to be focused and maintain our composure. We can’t do things like that.”

After the coaches broke up the fight, Allen was seen angrily scolding his fellow offensive linemen for their role in the scuffle.

“On the offensive line, me, Randall Hunt, Ryan Palmer, we’ve got to step in and show these guys that we can’t do that,” Allen said. “On defense, I know Corey Liuget and Clay (Nurse) know better, so they should do the same.”

Zook: Lewis feeling ‘pretty good’ after ACL injury

The start of camp has seen a largely healthy Illini roster, with only two players being sidelined due to injury. Junior offensive tackle Corey Lewis tore an ACL in the spring, while junior tight end Russell Ellington sat out with a shoulder injury.

“Russell was trying to tell me before practice that he could go, so he feels like he can go,” Zook said.

Ellington, who played at outside linebacker his first two seasons, has now switched to the offense. He will compete for time at the tight end position after the team lost Michael Hoomanawanui (graduation) and Hubie Graham (transfer).

Zook said it was possible that Lewis, who underwent surgery on his knee three months ago, could return this season.

“It’s all about what the doctors say and how he feels, and I know right now he feels pretty good.” Zook said.