Fans, Champaign bars gear up for World Cup

This summer is about to get even busier for some sports fans in Champaign-Urbana. While the Chicago Blackhawks’ run to the Stanley Cup and the Lakers-Celtics’ renewed rivalry in the NBA Finals have kept many busy, starting June 11 fans on campus will also be occupied with the most-watched sporting event in the world: the World Cup.

The tournament, held every four years, will feature 32 men’s national teams vying for the title of world’s best soccer (or football, depending on where fans are from) team.

With just as many countries routinely represented at the University of Illinois as are in the World Cup, residents on campus are making plans to watch their nations compete.

“Ever since I was little, I was raised watching the Mexican soccer team and I will be rooting for them the whole way but I am also a huge fan of teams such as the Netherlands, Portugal and England,” said Roberto Marquez, junior in LAS.

For those interested in watching the matches with other soccer fans, Marquez said it shouldn’t be hard to find gatherings on campus.

The Facebook group “Champaign for Summer 2010” already has a few people suggesting World Cup get-togethers for soccer fans in Champaign.

“I will most likely watch most of the games at my apartment or other friends’ houses,” Marquez added. “I know a lot are really excited to watch the games. It’s not going to be a problem gathering a big crowd.”

One thing fans should bear in mind is the seven-hour difference between Champaign and World Cup-host South Africa. Coverage of the opening match between South Africa and Mexico is scheduled to kick off at 8:30 a.m. CST on Friday, with the game set to begin at 9 a.m.

Tracey Herbert, general manager at Legends Bar & Grill, 522 E. Green St., said the bar plans on opening early for 9 a.m. games.

In addition, Firehaus, 708 S. Sixth St., plans on opening early for all of the United States’ World Cup matches. The first game, a highly anticipated matchup against England, is set for Saturday at 1:30 p.m.

For the World Cup, Legends is offering more than the usual drink specials.

“We will have something special for the World Cup fans, depending on who is playing. These extra specials will be decided on by the manager that day,” Herbert said.

“We have teamed up with Guinness, so we expect to be running their beer at a discount much of the time,” he added.

Josh Flahaven, general manager at Firehaus, said, “We are definitely going to be doing some stuff for the World Cup, especially the U.S. games.”

And while many are hopeful that the United States competes well in this year’s World Cup, Marquez believes the usual soccer powerhouses will come out on top.

“My prediction for the final is Brazil versus Spain. Spain will be the champions,” he said.